In order to get a good harvest of vegetables, fruits or beautiful flowers in the estate, the soil must be fertilized. This must be done because the soil is not always sufficiently nutritious initially. Areas with good black soil are actually quite few. Clayy, sandy and stony soils are very common, where it is difficult to grow beautiful and healthy crops. As a result, the plants are weak and painful.
If the soil was fertile, then its reserves are gradually depleted, because everything that grows needs food. The more nutrients the plant receives, the healthier it will be, the more resistant it to fluctuations in temperature, humidity, winds and drafts, and in general it will be more resilient.
Types of fertilizing for crops
Fertilizers are of two types:
Mineral fertilizers are synthetic fertilizers created by the chemical industry.
Such dressings are:
- complex, containing nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium;
- one-component, for example, nitrogen.
Organic are supplements that are obtained naturally. This can be bird and animal manure, compost, wood ash. There are adherents of both types of fertilizers. The best results are obtained by a reasonable combination of organic and mineral supplements.
Using coffee as a plant fertilizer
Let’s see why the used coffee grounds can be used as plant dressings. In addition to folk experience, there are modern agrotechnical studies that confirm that coffee cake is undoubtedly a top dressing for plants and gardens. This product contains a large amount of nitrogenous compounds that enhance plant growth. At the same time, no harmful nitrate residues are formed in the harvest of vegetables or fruits.
When using such top dressing, the pH balance of the soil changes positively, excessive acidity is neutralized. It is all the more valuable that coffee grounds are equally useful for indoor plants and for garden plants (vegetables and fruits). In addition, earthworms love this product, and aphids and other pests, on the contrary, are well scared away by them.
How to use sleeping coffee
Coffee grounds, as a fertilizer for garden and indoor plants, need preliminary preparation. Let’s consider the main points:
- The ground coffee must be brewed. Otherwise, you can simply poison the plant, due to the increased dosage of certain substances.
- Supplements in the form of milk, cream, syrups are contraindicated. Such cake cannot be used to fertilize crops.
- Thorough drying of coffee leftovers is encouraged, and even calcining them in the oven. Such actions lead to the complete destruction of possible fungi or mold.
- Storage in glass containers. Dampness can form in plastic or paper and spoil the fertilizer.
Coffee grounds as a fertilizer for indoor plants and vegetable gardens
Coffee cake, as a fertilizer for indoor plants, is used quite often. This can be explained not only by the presence of a large number of natural minerals and trace elements.
Coffee grounds for indoor plants qualitatively change the composition of the soil. It becomes looser, its gas exchange improves, and oxygen access to plant roots is facilitated. The drainage problem is literally automatically gone. The soil is made looser, which favorably affects the growth and development of a home garden in an apartment or house.
Sleeping coffee, as a fertilizer for indoor plants, can be used in different ways:
- It is necessary to pre-mix all the soil with cooled and dried waste from the coffee machine, adhering to the proportion of 1-2 tablespoons per 1 liter flowerpot.
- The coffee cake can be used in a different way: the same prepared organic dressing is simply poured on top of the soil around the plant on the root area and closer to the edge of the pot. This will reduce the drying out of the soil, especially in the case of very dry indoor air.
- The coffee cake can be used as part of the compost. To do this, use a large container, take it to a shed, garage or other utility room with the expectation that the composition will be prepared for at least 3-5 weeks. Prepare a 1: 1: 2 mixture of leaves, straw and coffee. Leaves and straw should be chopped or broken. It is advisable to use them dried. All components of the future complex organic fertilizer are well mixed and covered with a layer of soil without compacting it. On average, after a month, the feeding is ready. To improve the fermentation process, you can make holes in the mixture with a knife or wooden stick. Top dressing is poured directly into the flowerpots. According to reviews, this fertilizer is richer in vitamins. When used, indoor plants flourish in the full sense of the word. The stems become stronger and the leaves become larger.
Do you use folk signs in gardening?
Coffee grounds used for indoor plants have a beneficial effect on their development, plus it is absolutely safe. If allergy sufferers or small children live in your house, you can safely apply it. No annoying foreign odors will arise.
For which plants is this fertilizer suitable?
Azaleas, cacti, ferns, ficuses react very well to sleeping coffee. Indoor roses also love him.
At the same time, in no case should you use drunk coffee as a top dressing if you love and drink it with milk, cream and other additives.
The prepared fertilizer in this case will lead to:
- acidification of the soil;
- the formation of mold on the surface of the soil;
- disease and death of the plant.
If such an incident occurs, then in order to save the plant, it is better to completely replace the soil.
Thus, sleeping coffee, as a fertilizer for indoor plants, is a good source of vitamins and minerals.
Coffee as a fertilizer for the garden
First of all, this product is used as a fertilizer for growing seedlings. It grows better and is saturated with useful elements of coffee cake. As well as for indoor plants, coffee pomace is used as an integral part of compost.
There is an experience of mixing dormant coffee with small seeds when planting them either in the ground or for seedlings in the country. In both cases, the result is very good – uniform seedlings, less seed consumption.
Consider the use of bait for various crops:
- For sweet bell peppers and tomatoes, a blend of coffee and wood ash is recommended. This creates an enriched fertilizer. You can pour clean cake around the tomatoes, as a result, you will scare off aphids, Colorado beetles, and a bear.
- All tuberous, especially radishes and potatoes, love this fertilizer. Moreover, it protects them from mice. This is not counting the fact that the taste of these root vegetables becomes brighter and richer due to the beneficial trace elements contained in the cake.
- Garden strawberries and strawberries react well to making coffee in the country: the taste of berries improves, and they are less attacked by snails, slugs.
Almost all garden plants love top dressing from coffee grounds. It is absolutely harmless, environmentally friendly, and also free fertilizer. The main thing is to carefully observe the dosage and disinfect the cake before adding it to the soil. If you regularly feed the soil with waste of coffee “evenings”, then it will become looser, which will have a positive effect on loamy and viscous soils.
People who love nature, have a special vision of the most insignificant changes in the life of plants, are able to evenly distribute physical activity, and patiently do their work, work most successfully in vegetable growing.
All these qualities are possessed by Oleg Ivanovich Pomidorkin – an active person, a graduate, a true expert in his field. But the work of a vegetable grower, like any other work in agriculture, requires, in addition to knowledge of the specifics of growing and caring for plants, physical efforts.
It is necessary to be able to loosen the soil, weed plantings, add soil, work with fertilizers, prepare vegetable seeds for sowing. Then sow them with vegetable seeders or manually, lime the soil.
At present, Oleg Ivanovich applies the knowledge accumulated over 43 years of practical activity on his site, which he has been successfully engaged in for more than 10 years.